Sunday, January 1, 2012

Underrated Movies of 2011

There were a few movies released in 2011 that I feel were unfairly overlooked. This is a list of some of the movies I feel were better than people gave them credit for.

Fright Night

Most people seemed to be against this one simply because it is a remake of a cult classic. Well, I watched the original before going to see the remake and I have to say this remake is definitely better than the original. This one is a lot of fun. Colin Farrell is great as Jerry, the vampire next door. Anton Yelchin does a really good job as Charley, the boy who figures out that his neighbor isn’t who he seems. Not to mention how awesome David Tennant is as Peter Vincent, a Vegas magician and vampire hunter. This remake is much more enjoyable than the cheesy original.

Drive Angry

Most people don’t seem to like Nicholas Cage but I am a fan, especially of over the top roles like this one. This movie is about a man who literally escapes from hell in order to stop a crazy cult from killing is new born granddaughter. This is one of the most over the top ridiculous movies I have ever seen, and that is why I loved it. The action is non-stop and hilarious. Nicholas Cage is at his most outlandish and if for no other reason you should watch this movie for William Fitchtner’s role as “The Accountant.”

Adjustment Bureau

Based on a story by Phillip K. Dick, I thought this movie would be better received. I think Matt Damon was great in this movie as a politician on an honest streak who meets a charming and beautiful dancer, played by Emily Blunt. I really liked the concept that deals with fate and a supernatural government like agency that keeps track of everybody’s “destinies”. I was fascinated by this movie and loved every bit of it. I will admit that the conclusion is lacking a little but I couldn’t come up with a better ending so I guess I just don’t care.

Fast Five

Most people wrote this movie off because of its predecessors. I can understand their hesitation but I have to say that this is easily the best installment in the Fast and Furious franchise and is unlike any of the other movies. The rest of movies in the franchise are just loose stories intertwining between drag races. This fifth installment, while not a great movie by any means, is a fun action movie and plays out like a low rent Ocean’s Eleven, and I mean that in a good way.

Larry Crowne

I feel like nobody cared to see this movie and I don’t know why. It is a very charming, fun and funny movie. Tom Hanks stars as a man who loses his department store job because he never went to college, so he enrolls in a local college where he meets some new friends. Granted, if you are looking for “edgy”, this is not the movie for you. It is a delightful movie that has some very funny moments and some great characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment