Sunday, August 16, 2009

Review: The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard

Grade: C

The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard is a movie about a dieing car dealership in Tamecula, California that hires a "mercenary" to come in for a big three day weekend 4th of July sale. The mercenary is Don "The Goods" Ready and his team. The dealer, Ben Selleck, is considering selling the dealership, which has been in the family for over 40 years, to a guy who wants to use it for a rehearsal studio for is "man band". Don then makes a deal that he will sell every car on the lot in the three days so he can keep his dealership or Don will quit the business forever. The rest of the movie just shows all the ridiculous ways in which they try to sell cars.
The movie stars Jeremy Piven (Smokin' Aces, TV's Entourage) plays the main character Don Ready. Piven was actually pretty funny in this role and gave several hilarious motivational speeches. Ving Rhames (Dawn of the Dead, Mission Impossible) plays Jibby Newsome, one of Don's teammates. Rhames can be a very funny guy and this was no exception really. David Koechner (Waiting..., Thank You For Smoking) plays Brent Gage, another member of Don's team. Koechner is always funny and his role in this movie was ok. Kathryn Hahn (Step Brothers, Anchorman) plays Babs Merrick, the last member of Don's team. Hahn is hilarious in everything I've seen her in. The movie also features James Brolin, Ed Helms, Ken Jeong, Alan Thicke, Craig Robinson, Rob Riggle, Kristen Schaal and Will Ferrel.

This movie was ok. If you're looking for some cheap laughs and really don't care about quality or plot then this movie is for you. I can admit, it was pretty bad but it did make me laugh... a lot. I'm almost ashamed to say that because the humor is even pretty dumb but I just couldn't help myself. The cast is great but the jokes are a little off but like I said there are still plenty of moments that made me laugh. I would recommend waiting for DVD for this one none the less, it is worth seeing as it is quite funny at times but it's not really worth the ten bucks you have to shell out at the theater.
Great Quote: "I'm Don Ready, I've got hair on my balls and I sell cars.... The end."

No comments:

Post a Comment