Friday, August 19, 2011

Full Review: Fright Night

Grade: A-

Charley lives with his mom in a small suburban town just outside of Las Vegas. He becomes suspicious of his new neighbor, Jerry, after his friend raises some interesting questions about the man. Charley does soon discover that his neighbor is indeed a vampire. When Jerry finds out that his secret has been revealed, he begins to focus all of his effort on killing Charley and his mom. Charley then goes to Vegas to enlist the help of Peter Vincent, a self-proclaimed vampire hunter and stage magician. Vincent, however, turns out to be a drunk and doesn’t seem interested in helping.

Fright Night is a remake of a classic cult movie of the same name from 1985. I will admit, I have never seen the original and I was very wary of this remake as nobody seemed to have much faith in it and the trailer didn’t really make me all that interested in seeing it. However, I would like to say that I was very pleasantly surprised by this movie. In fact, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The plot is fun and really entertaining and the action is great. The movie has a really great sense of humor and it will make you laugh a couple times. This is probably one of the better vampire movies to come out in a long time, no sparkling in this one. My only complaint about this movie is that I saw it in 2D (no interest in 3D) and there are several blatant 3D shots in the movie. By that I mean that there are some weird camera shots that were set up specifically so that something can be thrown at the camera to try to scare the people seeing it in 3D.

Anton Yelchin (Star Trek, Terminator: Salvation) plays the lead role of Charley. I am already a huge fan of this guy, he is great in every movie I’ve seen him in and this movie is no exception. He has great delivery and manages this character very well. Colin Ferrell (Horrible Bosses, In Bruges) plays Jerry, the vampire. Ferrell is perfect in this role. He makes an awesome and fun vampire. David Tennant (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, TVs Doctor Who) plays Peter Vincent. Tennant was fantastic in this role. He was hilarious and entertaining and he manages to pull himself together and be a total badass by the end of the movie. The movie also features Toni Collette, Imogen Poots, Christopher Mintz-Plasse and more.

Fright Night is a surprisingly good movie that I think most fans of vampires will enjoy. Again, I haven’t seen the original and I do plan on watching it soon, but this movie is absolutely great and so much fun to watch. I really recommend it for people looking for a decent vampire/horror(ish) movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment